Wednesday, October 3, 2012

His Love

So many times I have heard that phrase during testimony meeting
"I know that my Heavenly Father loves me."
I've even been the one to say it every now and then. 
I haven't thought deeply into it.
Ever.
I just knew that He loved me.
I never thought about how to improve our relationship.
Until today.
When absolutely no one showed up for my group meeting,
I just sat there waiting and overheard the conversation of the teacher in the classroom across the hall from me.
He was (in a raised voice) speaking about our Heavenly Father's love.
" Everyone uses his love incorrectly in the gospel. 'I messed up, but that's okay because my Heavenly Father loves me.' Right? No."
Eavesdropping I was completely lost. 
I thought that was the whole purpose of the atonement? 
Right?
We mess up.
He still loves and through the Savior forgives us.
Wrong?
The teacher went on to say "See His love is action based. He can only love us so much."
Everyone, including me, was confused.
"Lets look at it this way, you can't love someone you're dating, without actively trying to learn about and love them. It is the same way with the Father. While He feels all the love and concern of a Father, He cannot become intimate and capable of gaining a relationship with you unless you are trying also to love Him."
The music started playing, the angels started singing.
I had an epiphany.
If I want my relationship with God to become better,
if I want to know and love Him, I need to tell Him how I feel and put in the effort.
So I am.
Do you feel estranged from God?
Are you wondering if He is there and if He loves you? 
Kneel in prayer. 
Ask if He is there and if He loves you.
Tell Him you want to be like Him, that you want to be unified with Him.
It will happen.
I know because I've tried.
I know because Heavenly Father wants nothing more than for His children to know He loves them.
He wants you to know that you are important to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment